Income Tax Assistance from the United Way

myfreetaxes.comDid you earn under $61,000 last year?
Want to file your Federal and State taxes for FREE?
Thanks to United Way of LaPorte County, YOU CAN! No need to buy expensive tax software or pay huge fees to get your taxes done! Visit to file your taxes for free, or dial 2-1-1 to set up an appointment to see one of our IRS certified tax consultants at NO CHARGE.

It's so simple to get the tax refund you deserve at NO COST to you!

The United Way website and Volunteer Tax Assistance Programs are generously supported by H&R Block and 1st Source Bank.
United Way - We Are Better Together!


2016 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
Sponsored by United Way Pro$perity Building Tax Team & 1st Source Bank

Get your tax returns completed & e-filed for FREE! Register online or CALL 2-1-1 to schedule your appointment.


Purdue University North Central
1401 U.S. 421, Westville, IN 46391
Every Saturday from February 14 - March 28, 2015

Salvation Army of La Porte
3240 Monroe Street, La Porte, IN 46350
February 2 - April 15, 2015
Monday 5:00 - 7:00 PM
Wednesday and Thursday 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Michigan City Public Library
100 E. 4th Street, Michigan City, IN 46360
By Appointment

Am I eligible for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)?
We can generally prepare your return through the free VITA program if your household income is $51,000 or less and your return will NOT include any of the following items:

  • Income from states other than Indiana (You must be a full year resident of Indiana to qualify for tax preparation)
  • Rental income
  • Farm income
  • Adoption credits

If you have any of the following items, please contact United Way at 574-232-8201 ext. 228 for clarification before your appointment so we can better serve you:

  • Military income*
  • Foreign income
  • Self-employment income requiring a Schedule C under $10,000** (limited expenses only and no losses)
  • Complicated or Advanced Schedule D (Capital Gains and Losses)

*VITA preparers are certified to prepare returns with military retirement income (on form 1099R) and can prepare returns with active military income (on form W2) at targeted sites only. Taxpayers should call United Way 2-1-1 for more information.
** If you are eligible to report self-employment income on a Schedule C-EZ, not for business expenses totaling between $5,000 and $10,000, we may be able to prepare your return. Other restrictions may apply. Please call 2-1-1 for additional information.

Who is eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)?
EITC eligibility for tax year 2013:
Earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must each be less than:

  • $46,227 ($51,567 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children
  • $43,038 ($48,378 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children
  • $37,870 ($43,210 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child
  • $14,340 ($19,680 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children

Tax Year 2013 maximum credit:

  • $6,044 with three or more qualifying children
  • $5,372 with two qualifying children
  • $3,250 with one qualifying child
  • $487 with no qualifying children

Investment income must be $3,300 or less for the year.

Items to bring to the VITA site to have your tax return prepared:

  • Picture ID
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration; IRS VITA certified sites will not prepare a return with any other document than these previously listed
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R) from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year's federal and state returns if available
  • Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
  • If filing a return for any other taxpayer due to death or disability, you must have a current Power of Attorney stating you can "file taxes" for the taxpayer

It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security Number. The most accurate information is usually located on your original Social Security card. Each year hundreds of thousands of returns are delayed in processing, or credit/deductions are disallowed because names and Social Security Numbers do not match Social Security Administration records. To prevent processing delays in paper returns and rejected electronically filed returns, volunteers check the accuracy of each Social Security Number, as well as the spelling of the name associated with the number. If you do not have an SSN for you or a dependent, you should complete Form SS-5, Social Security Number Application. This form should be submitted to the nearest Social Security Administration Office.

If you or your dependent is not eligible to get a Social Security Number, you may need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).